SLAYING ISIDORE'S DRAGONS RELEASE DAY TEASER POST!



I AM SO BEYOND EXCITED ABOUT THIS POST IT ISN'T EVEN FUNNY! IT IS RELEASE DAY (FINALLY, YAY :P) FOR SLAYING ISIDORE'S DRAGONS BY CODY KENNEDY, AND I HAVE A SPECIAL POST FOR YOU GUYS!

 HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED HOW A COVER IS DESIGNED? THE STEPS THE AUTHOR AND COVER ARTIST HAVE TO TAKE TO MAKE IT PERFECT? WELL WE ARE ABOUT TO FIND THAT OUT STEP BY STEP! REESE DANTE IS THE COVER ARTIST, I HAVE FEATURED HER ON THE BLOG SO I AM SO EXCITED TO DO THIS WITH ONE OF HER COVERS: SO LET'S SEE HOW A COVER IS MADE SHALL WE?



The Creation of Slaying Isidore’s Dragons’ Book Cover

Thank you for hosting me on the release day of Slaying Isidore’s Dragons, Bec! It’s great to be here!

Reese Dante created the gorgeous cover for Omorphi and, when it came time to create the cover for Slaying Isidore’s Dragons, I made a beeline straight for her. I don’t have words to describe what it’s like to work with a true visionary such as her—über lame for an author to admit that—so I’ll simply say it in lay terms.

We all know extraordinary and beautiful art when we see it though we may not have words to describe it. The first cover I saw of Reese’s was her award-winning cover for Oracle by RJ Scott. I stared at it for hours. I blew it up to 500% to ogle it closely and stared at it for more hours. I was utterly fascinated by the layering, the drawing, the incredible work of art. Then, as if that weren’t enough, she had this ‘making of’ gig on her website showing all the steps she took to draw the tattoo and wrap it around the male model on the cover (please put this back up, Reese!). I read that ‘making of’ over and again, and gazed at it for more hours; and I felt like I’d died and gone to book cover heaven.

Armed with my “I want that” I set out to combine and conquer. To my pleasure, I found Reese to be a remarkable and wonderful person. She takes the time not only to listen to requests, but also to hear them. She offers options, has the patience of Job, is wonderful to work with, and you are left speechless by the beauty of her final work. I can’t recommend her highly enough.


Here are the steps we went through to create the cover for Slaying Isidore’s Dragons:

1. The first step was to select the primary image (Isidore) for the cover. Reese then added the artistic canvas to work with in gray.


2. The second step was to merge Washington D.C. into the canvas.


3. The third step was to personalize Isidore with hair and scars, add the story element of his mother’s necklace, and brighten the colors.


4. The last steps were to bring in the elements of text, final brush strokes to add depth, and the runners. As they say, the devil is always in the details. OMG! Those runners nearly killed us. Reese finally fixed them by making them run toward the viewer rather than away. I never want runners on a book cover again. I now have “runner fear.”


That’s the story of the creation of Slaying Isidore’s Dragons’ book cover. Truthfully, I can’t bear the thought of working with anyone other than Reese. Assuming she is willing, she will do all my book covers forever. I hope you enjoy the book!


HOW WONDERFUL AND INSIGHTFUL WAS THAT? I LOVE BOTH THESE GUYS AND THEY ARE SO TALENTED, SO THIS IS SUPER SPECIAL FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS POST! BELOW ARE SOME LINKS SO YOU CAN FOLLOW THE BOOK TOUR AND TAKE A LOOK AT THE UNIQUE POSTS ON IT! I WILL BE BACK LATER TODAY WITH MY RELEASE DAY REVIEW OF SLAYING ISIDORE'S DRAGONS, I CAN'T WAIT TO TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THIS BOOK!


Now available in print and ebook at 


HERE ARE CODY'S PERSONAL LINKS TO FOLLOW OR GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM:





BACK IN FEB. I DID A SPOTLIGHT ON REESE COMPLETE WITH AN INTERVIEW AND A SHOWING OF SOME OF HER BOOK COVERS, INCLUDING SLAYING ISIDORE'S DRAGONS, HERE IS THE LINK TO THAT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A LOOK!


THANKS SO MUCH FOR JOINING ME FOR THIS SLAYING ISIDORE'S DRAGONS RELEASE DAY COVER SPOTLIGHT, THANK YOU CODY, FOR LETTING ME BE A PART OF RELEASE DAY!




No comments:

Post a Comment