ASK AN AUTHOR DAY 5; MARINIEVES HOSTS SKYLAR M. CATES


HELLO FRIENDS, MY GIRLS AND I HAVE HAD SO MUCH FUN WITH THESE ASK AN AUTHOR POSTS, AND TODAY IS MARINIEVES TURN! I HAVE HER INTERVIEW WITH SKYLAR CATES, AND I PUT A FEW BOOK AND SOCIAL LINKS IN AT THE END, ENJOY GUYS!!

HERE IS AN INTRO FROM MARI:


When Bec asked me to pick an author to interview, I had one of those moments ... yeah in which your mind goes blank and technically you can’t think.... Then chatting with Bec about it ... it came to me ... I wanted to interview Skylar Cates...

I have been a fan of her books since the beginning, her  The Guy Series is one of my favorites of all times. The way the books are written, as per me, is brilliant ... the emotions and the words behind each story makes them even better.  I am sad to see the series come to an end, but I am happy to say that now I can stalk Skylar about the Sunshine and Happiness series ... Yes I am in love with those books too.

So, without further ado.... Here is my interview with Skylar Cates ... Thank you for graciously accepting to do the same and answering all the questions with your heart....


1. Which character that you have written do you most relate to?

 Of course, I can relate to all of them in various ways. Each character contains a piece of my heart.
 If I had to pick one?  Jesse from The Only Guy. He’s creative and shy. I am too.
I’ll be the one hiding in a corner at the big party, but I’ll be secretly hoping some extrovert will pull me out to the dance floor. I think Jesse has this same desire. He needs Aaron to pull him out of his shell.
Jesse is a romantic at heart and very sensitive. His sense of loyalty is extremely deep, and loyalty is an important trait for me.  I easily related to Jesse’s love for his craft and his animals. Although I hate to admit it, I also share his fear of flying. Those scenes were hardly a struggle for me to write.
Mari- Oh I can so see that, I bet many people can relate to Jesse! 




2.Can you tell us if there will be anymore books in the Guy series after this newest one?


Nope. That was my last visit to Glamour.


I’d planned to end with The Last Guy Breathing. Then some readers asked about Mac and his story. It occurred to me, too, the guys in the various novels never had an opportunity to all interact. Add to all that my love of holiday books, and it guided me to A Guy’s Thanksgiving. It was supposed to be A Guy’s Fourth of July, actually, but I missed that deadline, lol.


I was satisfied where I left them, and I hope readers will be pleased. It follows each couple the week of Thanksgiving. Although they face some difficulties and surprises, it all ends on a warm holiday note.



Mari- I love this series, and I am sad to see it end, you can bet I will be revisiting Glamour again and again!

3. I am dying to know what is next in the Sunshine and Happiness series :) !

Thank you! *Happy grin* 

I submitted Tomas and Marc’s book. I’m extremely excited about this one! It should be out in March/April. I plan to write River’s book next. He will end the series.

But never say never. I was interested in a new character from Tomas and Marc’s book (named Jonathan). Strangely I had this weird idea of connecting him to my other novel Exposed. But all of this is not planned. I would only do it if the muse wrestled me to the ground and demanded it must be done (or if readers do).

As far as my plan today, River’s novel will end the series. I’m still taking notes on his story, so I’m not sure of when it will be finished for publication.

On a side note, I totally love hearing from readers as I create a series. It inspires me! So thank you again for the interest in the Sunshine and Happiness series.


Mari- I can't wait for those, this is such a great series, and you never want to see those end, but alas they have too!

4. If there was one book you could write over again what would it be?

None. Once I get it to the galley, I move ahead.

The reason? I’m a total revision freak. I will revise and revise and revise. Ask Cate Ashwood about it. She suffered through co-writing with me. Or my head editor. I will revise right to the galley.

I think all of them could be improved. Always.

I can’t listen to my audiobooks beyond the audition tape. I would hear all these things that I’d want to tweak. For my sanity, I need to be done when it is published.

I simply try and learn from past errors and do a better job on the next novel. I can only do my best each time and let it go.

It’s a hard thing….

If DSP approached me about a second edition, I might change my tune. It would be painful, I imagine, for me to go back in and see all the flaws.


Mari- Oh now that makes total sense, I never thought of it that way!

  5. If there was one thing you could tell someone who is new to this genre, what would it be? 

Be kind to yourself and others.


It sounds simplistic, but so many of us are our worst critics. I allow myself breaks between novels to chill out. I practice the art of stepping away if it all gets too harsh. If my feelings get crushed (and it happens), I try and count the other blessings in my life.

When it comes to others, we all matter (readers, bloggers, writers—all of us equally). You never know what another person is going through or has survived in life. Be kind.


Thanks for asking me to be here! 


Mari- Very good advice indeed! I wish everyone followed it! Thanks so much Skylar for answering my questions, this was fun!


WOW THAT WAS ONE GREAT INTERVIEW!! THANKS GUYS! HERE ARE A COUPLE OF SKYLAR'S BOOKS, GRAB EM UP AND TAKE A LOOK AT THE OTHER LINKS FOR MORE FROM THIS AUTHOR!






SKYLAR CATES WEBSITE

SKYLAR CATES AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE

THANKS SO MUCH FOR JOINING ME FOR ASK AN AUTHOR DAY 5, AND THANKS TO MARI AND SKYLAR FOR A TERRIFIC INTERVIEW! SEE YOU TOMORROW FOR DAY 6!




No comments:

Post a Comment